An entry visa is essential for all foreigners visiting India. A visitor’s Visa or Visa for taking part in the conference can be obtained from your nearest Indian Embassy/consulate/high commission on producing valid passport, travel documents and sufficient means of support. If you are planning to visit neighboring countries and re-enter India, please obtain a multiple entry visa. To locate an Indian Mission and post please click here: Locate Indian Missions / Embassies Abroad.
Foreign visitors entering India must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after their date of entry in India, except in the case of nationals of Bhutan and Nepal who need only carry suitable means of identification.
There is no provision of 'Visa on Arrival' in India and no fee is charged for immigration facilities at the airports. Foreign passengers should ensure that they are in possession of valid Indian Visa before they start their journey to India except nationals of Nepal and Bhutan who do not require visa to enter India and nationals of Maldives who do not require visa for entry in India for a period up to 90 days. A separate Visa regime exists for diplomatic/official passport holders. You are advised to contact the Indian Embassy / High Commission / Consulate in your country in order to obtain a visa of entry. Please apply for your visa in good time. Your travel agent may also be able to help you.
Nationals and/or passport holders from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Sudan need to submit their full name and passport details 7 weeks in advance of the of the date of travel. This information is submitted to the Ministry of Home & Ministry of External Affairs, who in turn will inform the respective countries to issue the visas.
The Ministry of External Affairs of India has been notified of the conference, and the Indian missions in all countries are in contact with the Ministry of External Affairs. An advisory has also been issued by the Ministry of External Affairs to all Indian Missions and Posts abroad in this regard.
Visa fees are non-refundable and subject to change without notice. The Indian Missions and Posts abroad reserve the right on granting and deciding type/duration of visa irrespective of the fees tendered at the time of making application. Granting of Visa does not confer the right of entry to India and is subject to the discretion of the Immigration Authorities.
The instruction and information given here is general in nature, however for specific information, you should contact the respective Indian Mission.
Visa forms and fees for India vary slightly depending on the country in which the Indian Embassy / Consulate or High Commission is located.
Timings and closed days of the various Indian Missions also vary from country to country.
The following links may be helpful: www.india-visa.com, www.eindiavisa.com
Visa Application Form
Visa application form is available at the Indian Mission in the country where the applicant resides. The list of Indian diplomatic mission and post abroad can be found at: Locate Indian Missions / Embassies Abroad or www.embassyworld.com/embassy/india.htm Visa forms may be downloaded from www.india-visa.com
Procedure for obtaining Visa
Visas can be applied for in person or by post at the Missions and Posts of India based in the country from where the participant intends to depart for India. Specific visas are granted for a variety of purposes that are aforementioned.
1. Travel Visa Application Requirements
- Valid passport, valid for at least 6 months after their date of entry in India
- Letter of invitation issued by the Conference organizers for obtaining Conference visa
- Duly Completed application form.(Nationals of Pakistan and Bangladesh must complete special application forms)
- Two passport-size photographs. (Nationals of Pakistan will require five)
- Visa fee
- Stamped self-addressed delivery envelope for postal applications
- Supporting documents, where necessary
For further clarification on Visa rules or related problems, contact the Officer of the Consular Division of the Mission in which Visa is to be applied. If required, DIREC 2010 will provide all registered delegates with an Invitation letter.
2. Types of Applicable Visa
- Tourist Visa - Validity : 6 months. The applicant is required to submit documents in proof of his financial standing. Tourists traveling in groups of not less than four members under the auspices of a recognized travel agency may be considered for grant of collective tourist visa
- Business Visa - Validity : One or more years with multiple-entry. A letter from the sponsoring organization indicating nature of business, probable duration of stay, places and organizations to be visited incorporating there in a guarantee to meet maintenance expenses, etc. should accompany the application
- Conference Visa - Conference Visas are issued for attending conferences / seminars / meetings in India. The Letter of Invitation from the conference is to be submitted along with the visa application. Delegates coming to attend conferences may combine tourism with attending conferences
3. DIREC, 2010 Delegates are Advised to Apply for Conference Visa
The accompanying guests should consult their nearest Indian Embassy to determine which Visa to apply for.
4. Processing Time
We recommend that you apply for a travel visa as soon as possible to allow sufficient time for processing. Processing will take AT LEAST 10-13 DAYS and differs from country to country. For more information contact the Indian Mission in your country.